Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Wishing and Waiting

Springtime is here, so they say. However, I want warmer weather and time to ramble the boonies in comfort. I look forward to the return of the Mississippi Kites so I will have company when I have my morning coffee on the patio. Yesterday I heard a woodpecker or a sapsucker banging on a tree, a good reminder that spring is moving this way.
I am getting the hummingbird feeders ready and in place around my new "cook shack" so I can enjoy their antics this summer. I still have some Canadian geese that do a fly over each morning. I love to hear them as they approach the lake behind my house. The blue jays are here and scavenging the neighborhood like a bunch of "Hell's Angles" arriving at the local bar.
The bluebirds are fewer this year and I hope they increase. They are so much fun to watch as they feed the little ones. Nature brings a feeling of freedom and rest to me and I love to hear the mountain streams in the spring.
Enjoying nature should not be a marathon through the wilds. It should be enjoyed slowly and in seclusion from all other two legged animals.Sitting beside an old tree listening and watching for  whatever decides to make itself available.These moments are great to sort out the garbage clogged up in the head. Rational thoughts come easy and simple solutions are made.
Wild critters are smart, they avoid humans because they know that two legged animals bring disaster  to their world as they do to ours. People are afraid of animals and for no good reason. The critters will flee to avoid contact with humans.
I had an Uncle that had a special bond with wildlife. He always had wild pet animals,but never caged. They roamed the wild and would come to visit him when he called. It was not unusual for him to have a King snake in his pocket or a baby rabbit he was feeding.He was a very special person to me and I think this is where my love of wildlife started. He had a one eyed dog named Cricket that was always by his side. He spent so much time with Cricket that whatever he told her to do she would obey, however, I never heard him raise his voice or scold her.
A surprise thunderstorm just arrive and the sounds of the thunder is music.It could only be better if I were in the mountains in a cabin with a tin roof.

No comments:

Followers