Monday, January 12, 2015

Day of the Kingfisher



On this January day the rain slacked off but it remained cold. We packed the cameras and headed  to the eagle nest near Ogden, Arkansas. The pair were not observed and we went to Millwood Lake to see if the geese were there. We located the geese grazing in the edge of the woods. As we were watching for eagle activity I observed a clump on a limb at the edge of Little River. I glassed it and found this Kingfisher, this was my first sighting of this species. They are beautiful birds. When I returned to my cave I started research on the Kingfisher and learned this one in the photo is a female by the markings.
  
We returned to the bald eagle nest and found both present. the female in the nest and the male perched on a nearby limb.

No comments:

Followers